The Resource Center’s 2021 Membership Cards are available, offering discounts at dozens of local businesses as a way of thanking people for demonstrating support for those with disabilities through a financial contribution.
Here’s some background information that explains Membership:
- The Resource Center is the Chautauqua County Chapter of The Arc New York.
- The Arc New York is an organization that advocates and provides support and services to people with disabilities.
- Every county in New York State has an organization that is similar to The Resource Center, and is a chapter of The Arc NY.
- Each of these county chapters of The Arc NY encourages people to become members of the organization.
- Membership is open to anyone 18 and older who believes in the importance of supporting people with disabilities to enjoy meaningful, satisfying lives.
- People who wish to become a Member of an Arc New York chapter must pay annual Membership Dues. (At The Resource Center, Membership Dues are $10 per year, or $5 for a person with a disability.)
- When someone becomes a Member of any county chapter of The Arc New York, they also become a member of both The Arc NY and The Arc of the United States, an organization that advocates for people with disabilities and their families at the national level.
- Membership is important! The more members we have, the stronger our collective voice becomes when we advocate on behalf of people with disabilities. Currently, The Resource Center and our fellow Arc NY chapters across New York State have been encouraging lawmakers to place people with disabilities near the front of the line when deciding when people are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Last year, The Resource Center had 1,762 members. This year, we have set a goal of reaching 2,500 members. Though that may seem like a big number, we could easily get there if the family members of every person we support decided to become a member.
As a thank-you for becoming a member, The Resource Center offers a TRC Membership Card that entitles people to discounts at dozens of local businesses: Amherst Exterminators/Comfort Pest Control; Applebee’s; Arby’s; Ashville General Store; Bag & String Wine Merchants; The Basket Company; Chautauqua Marina; Circle Mechanical; D&F Auto; Domus Fare Restaurant; Elite Kreations; Enterprise Rent-A-Car; Escape Rooms Jamestown; Everyday’s Super True Value; Flowers by Anthony; Jamestown Bowling Company; Jamestown Cycle Shop; Kara Bemis Yoga; Lakeview Gardens; Lakewood Apothecary; Lander’s Men’s Store; Madenford Spring & Auto; The Main Landing Restaurant; National Car Rental; Orkin Pest & Termite Control; Rookie’s on the Lake; RydersCup Coffee; St. Elmo’s Spa; Sandee’s Bakery; Stella: A Kitchen & Bar; Surroundings Art Gallery & Frame Shop; Top Shop; and The Resource Center. The discounts can be used over and over throughout the year.
Click here to pay your Membership Dues. On that donation page, you also can sign up adult members of your household as Members of TRC. Or, you can send a check to The Resource Center, 200 Dunham Avenue, Jamestown, NY, 14701, and write “membership” on the memo line. For more information (including learning how your business can become part of TRC’s discount program), or to have a membership form sent to you, phone Steve Waterson, Community Relations Director, at (716) 661-4735.